LATIHAN SOAL BAHASA INGGRIS SMA KELAS X SEMESTER 2
Text for questions number 1 to 5
Once upon a time, there lived in Japan a peasant and his wife. They were sad couple because they had no children. They kept praying to their god pleading to give them a child.
While cutting wood by a stream one day, the man saw a large peach floating on the water. He ran to pick it up. His wife was excited because she had never seen such a large peach before. They were about to cut the peach when they heard a voice from inside.
The couples were surprised to do anything. The peach then cracked open, and there was a beautiful baby inside. The couples were very happy, of course. They named the baby Momotaro,
which meant „peach boy‟.
Momotaro grew up to be clever, courage young man. His parents loved him very much. One day, Momotaro told his parents that he was going to fight the pirates who always
attacked their village. These pirates lived on an island a few kilometers away. Momotaro‟s mother packed his food, and his father gave him a sword. Having blessed Momotaro, they sent him off on his journey.
Sailing on his boat, Momotaro met an eagle going in the same direction. They became good friends; soon, both of them arrived on the island of the pirates.
Momotaro drew out the sacred sword his father had given him and began to fight the
pirates. The eagle flew over the thieves‟ heads, pecking at their eyes. Finally, the pirates were
Momotaro brought home all the goods that pirates had stolen. His parents were proud of him, and they were overjoyed at his victory and save return.
1. What is the main information of the text? A. The defeated pirates
B. The clever and courage young man C. The sad couple who had no child D. The finding of pirates hiding place
2. What is the main idea of paragraph 7? A. Momotaro met an eagle.
B. Momotaro and an eagle fought the pirates. C. Momotaro‟s father gave him a sacred sword. D. Momotaro and an eagle become good friends. E. Momotaro went to island where the pirates lived.
3. What was Momotaro‟s weapon? A. An eagle
B. A peach C. A sword D. A boat E. The goods
4. Which of the statement is NOT TRUE according to the text? A. The peasant and his wife were childless.
B. The peasant and his wife found a baby in a forest. C. The baby was inside a big peach.
D. The baby grew up to be clever, courage young man.
E. Momotaro beat the pirates and took all the goods that pirates had stolen.
5. “His wife was excited ….” (paragraph 2).
The underlined word has the same meaning as ... A. frightened
B. glad C. afraid D. satisfied E. proud
Text for questions number 6 to 10
There was a fisherman who lived in Batak Land. His name was Batara Guru Sahala. When he was angling, he caught a fish. He was surprised to find that fish because the fish could talk and it begged to set it free. He did accordingly.
After getting free, the fish changed into a beautiful woman and Sahala fell in love with her. Sahala asked her to marry him and the woman received him. However, she asked his promised not to tell anyone the secret that she was once a fish. They were very happily married, and got two daughters.
It was a pity on Sahala. One day when he got very angry with his daughters, he forgot his promise and he broke it. He told his daughters that they were the daughters of a fish.
His wife could not forgive him. Suddenly, the earth began to shake and volcanoes started to erupt. The earth cracked and formed a big hole. People said that the hole became Lake Toba.
6. What is the purpose of the text? A. To describe the ballads B. To retell the past event
C. To explain what the Princess did
D. To entertain the readers with the legendof Lake Toba E. To show the sad ending of the Sahala‟s life
A. The Legend of Lake Toba B. The Batara Guru Sahala‟s life C. The Marriage of Sahala with a Fish D. The Broken Promise of Sahala
E. The Earthquake and Volcano‟s Eruption
8. “He did accordingly”. (the last sentence of paragraph 1) The statement means... .
A. he caught the fish B. the fish could talk C. he set the fish free
D. the fish changed into a beautiful woman E. he married the beautiful woman who once a fish
9. What was the Sahala‟s promise to the woman? A. He would set her free.
B. He would treat her. C. He would marry her.
D. He would take care of her daughters.
E. He would not to tell anyone the secret that she was once a fish.
10. Why did Sahala break his promise? A. He didn‟t love anymore.
B. He got very angry with his daughter. C. He was too tired.
Text for questions number 11 to 15
Taj Mahal is regarded as one of the eight wonders of the world. It was built by a Muslim Emperor Shah Jahan in the memory of his dear wife at Agra.
Taj Mahal is a Mausoleum that houses the grave of queen Mumtaz Mahal. The mausoleum is a part of a vast complex comprising of a main gateway, an elaborate garden, a mosque (to the left), a guest house (to the right), and several other palatial buildings. The Taj is at the farthest end of this complex, with the river Jamuna behind it.
The Taj stands on a raised, square platform (186 x 186 feet) with its four corners truncated, forming an unequal octagon. The architectural design uses the interlocking arabesque concept, in which each element stands on its own and perfectly integrates with the main structure. It uses the principles of self-replicating geometry and a symmetry of architectural elements.
Its central dome is fifty-eight feet in diameter and rises to a height of 213 feet. It is flanked by four subsidiary domed chambers. The four graceful, slender minarets are 162.5 feet each. The central domed chamber and four adjoining chambers include many walls and panels of Islamic decoration.
Taj Mahal is built entirely of white marble. Its stunning architectural beauty is beyond adequate description, particularly at dawn and sunset. The Taj seems to glow in the light of the full moon. On a foggy morning, the visitors experience the Taj as if suspended when viewed from across the Jamuna river.
11. Why was the Taj Mahal built?
A. As one of the eight wonders of the world B. It was built by a Muslim Emperor Shah Jahan. C. For the grave of queen Mumtaz Mahal
D. To memorize the queen Mumtaz Mahal
E. It stands on a raised, square platform (186 x 186 feet).
12. The mausoleum consists of the following parts, except…… . A. a main gateway
B. an elaborate garden C. a mosque
D. a guest house
E. some unique buildings
13. What does mainly describe in paragraph 3? A. The size and elements of Taj Mahal B. The decoration and relief of Taj Mahal C. The form and designs of Taj Mahal D. The height and area of Taj Mahal E. The process of building Taj mahal
14. ” Taj Mahal is regarded as one of the eight wonders of the world.” The underlined word means...
15. The communicative purpose of the text is... A. to entertain the readers with Taj Mahal B. to describe the greatness of Taj Mahal C. to persuade the readers to visit Taj Mahal
D. to give information to the readers the reasons of building Taj Mahal
E. to give information to the readers about the description of Taj Mahal in detail
Text for questions number 16 to 20
What am I?
I inhabit a small area in south-western Western Australia. My species was quite widespread in Australia before European settlement but now we are endangered. I prefer areas of open woodland. I forage for my food in the mornings and afternoons. At
16. What is possibly described in the text above? A. Crocodile
B. Whale C. Kangaroo D. Shark E. Komodo
17. ” I forage for my food in the mornings and afternoons.”
The underlined word means …… .
A. escape B. roar C. hunt D. keep E. go around
18. Where does the animal sleep at night? A. In the bush
B. Under the fallen trees C. On the tree
D. In the river E. On open land
B. ask the readers to guest an animal
C. inform the characteristics of a certain place D. tell the dangerous mammals in the past E. explain how to preserve the extinct animal
20. The following characteristics are TRUE about the mammals, except…… . a. It had been extinct
b. It has wide spread species in Australia c. Its tail is about 25 centimeters long d. Its front legs are shorter then its hind legs e. It has short ears and long snout
Text for questions number 21 to 25
Growing Number of High School Student Smoking
A survey has found about 13 percent of first-time smokers in the country are junior high school students. It also revealed 89 percent of young female employees were smokers.
The survey was conducted in five major cities across the country, including Surakarta in Central Java.
Muhammad Syahril Mansyur, the Surakarta Health Agency‟s respiratory illness division,
said that the finding of the survey showed an alarming growth rate of Indonesian smokers. "This
situation is a cause for concern,” he said. “It appears the country‟s younger generation is uneducated about the health risks of smoking.”
The Indonesian anti-tobacco campaign has reportedly been deemed as ineffective as the government refuses to sign the international convention on tobacco control. It said that cigarette producers contributed to a large amount to state revenue and gave jobs to thousands of workers.
21. What is the topic of the text?
A. The increasing number of smokers B. A survey on smokers
C. The percentage of smokers‟ division D. The result of a survey
E. Anti-tobacco campaign
22. How many percent of non smokers from young female employees? A. 11 percent
B. 13 percent C. 76 percent D. 87 percent E. 89 percent
23. Why anti-tobacco campaign is regarded ineffective?
A. There are still many people uneducated about health risks of smoking. B. The survey showed an alarming growth rate of Indonesian smokers.
C. The government refuses to sign the international convention on tobacco control.
D. Cigarette producers contribute a large amount to state revenue and gave jobs to thousands of workers.
24. “… the finding of the survey showed an alarming growth rate of Indonesian smokers.” The underlined word is closest in meaning to …… .
A. dangerous B. satisfying C. surprising D. worrying E. annoying
25. What is the government‟s benefit from the existing of cigarette producers? A. Unemployment
B. Job vacancy and state revenue C. Thousands of workers and producers D. Tobacco plantation and farmers E. The increasing number of smokers
Text for questions number 26 to 30
Indonesian Migrant Worker dies in Malaysia
An Indonesian migrant worker Munti Binti Bani has died on Monday after being hospitalized for several days due to alleged torture by her employers in Selangor, Malaysia.
Antara state news agency has
reported that Munti had been treated at Tengku Ampuan Rahimah hospital since last Tuesday and died on Monday at 10 a.m, local time. Munti was found unconscious with her hands and feet were tied in a bathroom in Taman Sentosa housing complex last Tuesday. She was suffering from major wounds on her body and had apparently been beaten with iron.
Munti's body will be sent tomorrow to her hometown in Pondok Jeruk Barat village of Jombang, East Java after undergoing autopsy at
the hospital. “We express our deep condolences
as there is yet another worker who was tortured
and passed away at the hospital,” Indonesia's
Ambassador for Malaysia, Da'i Bachtiar said in Kuala Lumpur on Monday. “The Embassy will arrange for all compensation, including
insurance, she deserves to receive,” Da'i said.
He added that Munti's employers Vanitha and Murugan had been detained and were undergoing questioning at the local police
office. “We hope the police can uphold justice and punish them should they be proven to be
26. What caused the Indonesian migrant worker Munti Binti Bani died? A. She was tortured by her employers.
B. She was hospitalized for several days. C. She had apparently been beaten with iron.
D. She was suffering from major wounds on her body.
E. She was found unconscious with her hands and feet were tied in a bathroom.
27. How long had Munti been treated at Tengku Ampuan Rahimah hospital? A. 2 days
B. 4 days C. 6 days D. 8 days E. 10 days
28. Where does Munti work?
A. At Tengku Ampuan Rahimah hospital B. In Taman Sentosa housing complex
C. In Pondok Jeruk Barat village of Jombang, East Java D. In Indonesia's Embassy in Malaysia
E. At the local police office
29. “… worker who was tortured and passed away at the hospital .” (paragraph 3) The synonym of the underlined word is _____
A. treated B. hospitalized C. killed D. died E. cured
30. Which statement is incorrect about Munti based on the text? A. Munti died because she was tortured by her employers. B. Munti was suffering from major wounds on her body. C. Munti beat her employers with an iron.
D. Munti died at the hospital.
E. Munti deserved to receive compensation, including insurance.
The following text is for questions 31 to 34
65 Market Street Val Haven, CT 95135
May 30, 2010
Customer Service Cool Sports, LLC 8423 Green Terrace Road Asterville, WA 65435
I have recently ordered a new pair of soccer cleats (item #6542951) from your website on May 21. I received the order on May 26. Unfortunately, when I opened it I saw that the cleats were used. The cleats had dirt all over it and there was a small tear in front of the part where the left toe would go. My order number is AF26168156.
To resolve the problem, I would like you to credit my account for the amount charged for my cleats, I have already went out and bought a new pair of cleats at my local sporting goods store so sending another would result in me having two pairs of the same cleats.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I have been a satisfied customer of your company for many years and this is the first time I have encountered a problem. If you need to contact me, you can reach me at (555) 555-5555.
31. What is the letter about?
A. Complaining about used soccer cleats B. Giving information about soccer cleats C. Describing a new pair of soccer cleats D. Ordering a new pair of soccer cleats
E. Asking a customer service to send soccer cleats
32. It needed ____ days to get a new pair of soccer cleats since the customer ordered. A. 2
B. 3 C. 5 D. 7 E. 8
33. What did the customer want to solve the problem? A. Returning him a new pair of cleats
B. Returning him the money charged for the cleats C. Replacing him with a new pair of cleats
D. Ordering another pair of cleats
E. Giving him free of charge for the next order
34. Which one is TRUE about the customer? A. He is a new customer.
C. It was the first time for him to get the problem. D. He is never satisfied with the service.
The following text is for questions 35 and 38.
35. What is the text about? A. Repairing records B. Protecting records C. Vacuuming records
D. Advertising Record Vacuum E. How to use record vacuum
36. What is the function of record vacuum? A. To protect records
B. To make a record
C. To sweep and vacuum records D. To eliminate static electricity build up E. To loose deep damaging micro dust particles
37. How many steps are there to use record vacuum? A. 2
B. 3 C. 4 D. 5 E. 6
38. “ ….. which distort sound and damage your needle.” The synonym of the underlined word is ___.
For questions 39 to 43 complete the missing words!
There are five ____ (39) for a student who wishes to become a chemist. One is that he possesses greater ____ (40) average aptitude for learning. Another is that he possesses a good working knowledge of mathematics. Still another is that he _____ (41) applying his knowledge.
In addition, he ____ (42) be curious about things – about what causes natural phenomena and about how a thing is put together, how it works, and why. ______ (43), he must be enthusiastic.
39. A. times
B. requirements C. ways
D. groups E. kinds
40. A. to B. on C. than D. then E. for
41. A. enjoy B. enjoyed C. enjoys D. to enjoy E. enjoying
42. A. will B. can C. may D. would E. should
44.Joy : “It seems you are very glad these days” Bruno : What‟s good news you are having now?
Joy : You know, my brother has just won the International Science Olympiad Competition. I feel ___of him.
In the dialogue above Rita told Adam that she ___ him at seven o‟ clock the night before. A. call
47.X : Can I borrow the novel which you brought yesterday? Y : Oh sorry, ___ to the library this morning.
A. It is returned B. It returns C. It was returning D. It has been returned E. It will return
48. Lily : I called you many times at 9 last night but you didn‟t answer it. What were you doing at that time?
Vera : I‟m really sorry. I ___ the meeting for about an hour when you called me. A. attend
B. attended C. was attending D. have attended E. had been attending
49.Father : Please, don‟t play too much. You have to prepare for the final exam. Fakhry : What did father ask you, Jon?
Jonathan : ___ because I will have final exam. A. I asked to play too much
50. Sintya : How is your interview test, Desy? Are you optimistic to succeed? Desy : I‟m afraid not. I was so nervous.