PREDIKSI SOAL UJIAN NASIONAL
: Bahasa Inggris
: 120 menit
: 50 soal
: Pilihan ganda
Read the following text to answer questions!
1. We usually find the caution at these places below except at…. A. the zoo
C. the safari park D. the farm
Read the text to answer question!
2. Who must pay a half for ticket to visit wildlife nature park? A. Adult
B. Child C. Teen D. Baby
DO NOT FEED THE ANIMAL
Wildlife Nature Park
---Ticket: Rp12,000 (adult) Rp6,000 (child)
Opening hours: 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.
I’ve read your poem in Junior Mag this week. The title is ‘The Dead Tree’ Great! It’s really a good poem. The poem inspires me. Our body may be like the leaves. They will fall down to the ground, but our soul will be still alive. Our soul may be tired. You say it is waiting in agony. But, it still gives us beauty. So let’s do our best today and get the beauty of life. It is the inspiration that I can get. And it’s interesting for me. Well, Juita, I’m waiting for your poems. See you soon.
Read the following text and answer the question 3 and 4
3. What does the text tell us about? A. The beauty of life
B. The soul and body C. The interesting letter D. The inspiring poem
4. “But, it still gives us beauty” (line 5) The word It refers to….
A. the poem B. the soul C. the agony D. the leaf
This text is for number 5 and 6
5. “Each class must send at least three participants….” What does the underlined phrase mean?
A. Maximum B. Minimum C. More than D. Less than
To celebrate the School Anniversary, SMP GPS will hold some English contests: The Spelling Bee Contest (for Class VII)
The Writing Fable Contest (For Class VIII) The English Speech Contest (for Class IX)
All the contests will be held on Monday, November 17th 2008.
Each class must send at least three participants for the contests. For more information, contact the committee c.o. Ary Widyawati (the Head of OSIS). The committee only accepts the names of the participants before November 15th, 2008.
6. The purpose of the text is to …. A. contact the committee
B. send at least three participants C. celebrate the school anniversary
D. inform the students about English contests
This text is for number 7 and 8
7. The notice is suitable for … Except A. bikers
B. drivers C. trainers D. motor riders
8. From the notice we know that …. A. If we regret, we will be safe.
B. We will be regretful if we drive safely. C. We should be safe if we regret tomorrow. D. If we don’t drive safely, we will be regretful.
This text is for number 9 to 12
There is a new hotel in my city. Bugis hotel is a four-star hotel. It is located downtown. Many foreigners stay the night in the hotel.
Bugis hotel is not very big, but the architecture is very beautiful. It looks like a classic castle in Europe. According to the brochure it has 100 rooms, a fancy restaurant, complete sport facilities including a swimming pool, a tennis court, gym and sauna. There are also a coffee shop and a karaoke room.
The pictures of the rooms in the brochure are very nice. The rooms look very comfortable. They contain a big spring bed with big pillows, a nice sofa, a wardrobe, and a television system with programmes from all over the world. The bathroom is very beautiful although it is not very big. It has a bath tub with hot and cold water so that the guests can take a bath in it comfortably.
The brochure says that the hospitality is its trade mark. The staff of the hotel from the receptionist, the bellboy, and the house keepers are very polite. They help the guests in any way they can.
9. What does paragraph three tell us about? A. The bathroom is very beautiful.
B. The rooms contain a big spring bed and big pillows. C. The pictures of the room in the brochure are very nice. D. The guest can take a bath in the bathroom comfortably.
10. “The brochure says that hospitality is its trademark” What does the word “its” refer to….
A. Bugis hotel B. the brochure C. the hospitality D. the staff of hotel
11. “They contain a big spring bed with big pillows, a nice sofa, a wardrobe and a television system”
A wardrobe means a place to put … in A. foods
B. shoes C. clothes D. beverages
12. Which statement is incorrect based on text? A. Bugis hotel is not foreign tourist.
B. We can enjoy some songs in Bugis hotel. C. We will have a comfort in Bugis hotel. D. The staffs are very helpful to the guests.
This text is for number 13 to 15
It was a long holiday. Bobby and Tommy did not go anywhere. Unlike their friends, they had to stay at home. They did not have a picnic or other fun activities. Bobby’s parents were poor. They did not have enough money for fun. Bobby and Tommy knew this and they did not demand their parents. They themselves had to be creative if they wanted to have money. Bobby and Tommy thought and thought over to get the idea.
One morning Bobby and Tommy walked along the pavement. In this city people often walked their dogs along the street in the morning. Suddenly they saw a woman with a dog stop in front of the supermarket. She looked at a sign ‘No dogs allowed’. She looked for a place to leave the dog in, but there was none. When she looked at Bobby and Tommy, she asked, “Can you help me, boys?”
“Yes, Madam. What can I do for you?” asked Bobby. “Could you hold my dog while I go shopping?” “With pleasure.”
The woman gave the dog to Bobby, and Bobby had to keep it well. Not long afterwards, an old woman met Tommy. She also asked him to keep her dog. Fifteen minutes later the two women came out of the supermarket. Both gave them money. That morning Bobby and Tommy got much money because ten people asked them do the same job. Now they knew how to get much money during holiday.
“What do you think now, Tommy?” asked Bobby. “I think we’d better set up a dog nursery.”
“It’s a good idea. We can contact the owner of this house. We will rent the house and put a big sign at the fence.”
“What will you write on the sign board?” “The Dog Nursery!”
“Okay. We’ll do that tomorrow.”
13. What would they do to get much money during the holiday? They would....
A. rent a house
B. set up a Dog Nursery C. demand to their parents D. work in a Supermarket
14. Why did the woman give the Dog to Bobby? Because....
A. She found a place to leave the dog in B. Dogs were prohibited in the supermarket C. Bobby wanted to keep the Dog for himself
D. The woman wanted to walk along the street alone
15. One morning Bobby and Tommy walked along the pavement (Paragraph 2) The underlined word means...
A. Path B. Bridge C. Cross road D. Side walk
This text is for number 16 to 18
How to Cook Oxtail Soup Ingredients:
1 oxtail 2 carrots 1 turnip 1 onion
4 tablespoons dripping or oil 1 tablespoons seasoned flour
3 tablespoons parsley chopped finely 1 bay leaf
4 pints water
1. Cut the tail into small joints and roll in the seasoned flour. 2. Heat the oil and fry the floured joints until brown.
3. Pour off any excess fat and add the water, salt and parsley and bay leaf. 4. Simmer for about 2 hours.
5. Leave to go cold and remove any solidified fat.
6. Add the diced vegetables, bring to the boil, and simmer for another 2 hours. 7. Remove bones carefully and let the soup cold.
8. Blend the soup and season well. 9. Serve hot
16. The text is writen to .... A. cook Oxtail Soup.
17. How long do we simmer the Oxtail Soup?
18. “Cut the tail into small joints”
The word “Cut” has the same meaning as …. A. hit
Sura bit Baya’s tail. Baya did the same thing to Sura. He bit very hard until Sura finally gave up. He went back to the sea. Baya was very happy. He had his place again. The place where they were fighting was a mess. People then always talked about the fight between Sura and Baya. They then named the place of the fight as Surabaya, it’s from Sura the shark and Baya the crocodile.
On one hot day, Sura and Baya were looking for some food. Suddenly, Baya saw a goat. “Yummy, this is my lunch,” said Baya. “No way! This is my lunch. You are greedy! I have not eaten for two days!” said Sura. Then Sura and Baya fought as usual. After several hours, they were very tired. Sura had a plan to stop their bad habit. “I’m tired of fighting, Baya,” said Sura. “Me too. What should we do to stop fighting? Do you have any idea?” asked Baya. “Yes, I do. Let’s share our territory. I live in the water, so I look for food in the sea.
A long time ago in East Java there were two strong animals, Sura and Baya. Sura was a shark and Baya was a crocodile. They lived in a sea. Actually, they were friends. But when they were hungry, they were very greedy.
And you live on the land, right? So, you look for the food also on the land. The border is the beach, so we will never meet again. Do you agree?” asked Sura. “Hmm... let me think about it. OK, I agree. From now on, I will never go to the sea again. My place is on the land,” said Baya. Then they both lived in the different places.
But one day, Sura went to the land and looked for some food in the river. He was very hungry and there was not much food in the sea. Baya was very angry when he knew that Sura broke the promise. “Hey, what are you doing here? This is my place. Your place is in the sea!” “But, there is water in the river, right? So, this is also my place!” said Sura. Then Sura and Baya fought again. They both hit each other.
http://indonesianfolklore.blogspot.com 19. After reading the text above, we know that, ...
A. Sura broke the promise B. Sura lived in the jungle C. Sura realized the promise D. Sura and Baya fought again
20. Where did actually Baya live? A. In the sea
B. In the water C. On the land D. At the beach
21. Which statement is not suitable to the text above? A. Sura and Baya were wild animals
B. Sura and Baya were tame animal C. Sura and Baya stopped their fighting
D. Surabaya was the place of Sura and Baya fighting
22. “What should we do to stop fighting?” (line10) What does the underlined word refer to?
A. People, B. People Sura C. People, Baya D. Sura and Baya
This text is for number 23 to 24
HOW TO PRINT A FILE 1. Turn the printer on.
2. Open the file that you want to print. 3. Click “File”. And then click “print”.
4. Check if the printer’s name is the same as the one you are going to use. If it is not the same, then search for the name of the printer that you are going to use by
clicking on the small triangle or arrow beside it.
5. Click “pages” and then type the pages that you want to print.
6. Select the number of copies that you want to print by clicking on the arrows beside it.
7. Click “OK” or “Print”.
23. When the printer’s name we are going to use is not the same, we must ... the name of the printer by clicking on the small triangle or arrow beside it.
A. click on B. turn on C. check in D. search for
24. “if it is not the same,...”(line 4)
“It” in the sentence above refers to the .... A. file
C. printer’s name D. small triangle
This text is for number 25 to 26
Earthquake is a sudden shaking of the earth's surface that often causes a lot of damage. It is the result of a sudden release of stored energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves. Earthquakes may happen naturally or as a result of human activities. Smaller earthquakes can also be caused by volcanic activity, landslides, mine blasts, and nuclear experiments.
At the Earth's surface, earthquakes can be seen from the shaking or displacement of the ground. Sometimes, they cause tsunamis, which may lead to loss of life and damage of property. There are two types of earthquake that occurs naturally, they are tectonic and volcanic earthquakes. Tectonic earthquakes are earthquakes that are caused by tectonic plates getting stuck and putting a strain on the ground. The strain becomes so great that rocks give way by breaking and sliding along fault planes. Volcanic
earthquakes are earthquakes which are caused by the movement of magma in volcanoes. In volcanic regions earthquakes may be caused both by tectonic faults and by the
movement of magma in volcanoes. Such earthquakes can be an early warning of volcanic eruptions
The size of an earthquake is usually reported using the Richter scale or a related
Moment scale. Earthquakes which are 3 on the Richter scale or lower are hard to notice. Whereas, those which are 7 on the Richter scale causes serious damage over large areas.
Adapted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquak
25. The size of Earthquake which are 2.9 on the Richter Scale includes.... A. Tsunami
B. Hard Notice C. Serious damage D. Early warning
26. What does the text tell us about? A. The types of earthquake B. The cause of earthquake C. The earthquake in general D. The size of an earthquake
This text is for number 27 to 28
27. What does the text tell us about? A. A Mother’s Day celebration B. A speech contest celebration C. A singing contest celebration D. A cooking contest celebration
28. How many contests does the school hold on the celebration of the “Mother’s Day” ? A. One
B. Two C. Three D. Four
Dear Mom and dad,
Last week my school held the celebration of the Mother’s Day. We had a speech contest, a singing contest and playing drama, and the cooking contest. We did them in three days.
On the first day the school held a speech contest. It was the English speech contest. Each class had to send two participants. I participated the contest, because nobody was ready to have a speech in English. They said that it was difficult to speak in English. In the contest I talked about the role of mother in national development. It was a good topic to discuss. I hope I can win the contest.
On the second day we had a singing contest and playing drama. Our class sent two singers, Rizqi and Helena. They sang some songs to celebrate the Mother’s day. We also participated the drama contest. We performed the Struggle of Kartini. We hoped we can win the drama contest.
The last activity was the cooking contest, and we had the activity on the third day. This contest was especially for boys. Our class also sent a group of boys to participate the contest. They worked in group to prepare special menu on mother’s day. Our class prepared special cake for mother. We also hope we can win the contest.
The celebration of the Mother’s day this year was really fun. All students participated the activities. We will have similar programs next year.
29. The celebration of the “Mother’s Day” this year was really fun. The underlined word means ….
A. Praising something B. Having dinner together C. Showing an important event D. Performing a religious ceremony
This text is for number 30 to 33
ON THE HOP
Do you know the typical animal of Australia? It’s kangaroo. Yes, everybody sees. But, do you know the first kangaroos? They differ from the kangaroos we see today. Unlike the present kangaroos, the first kangaroos lived in the rainforests. They ate insects, and they were about the size of large rats. They developed from a type of possum that came down from the trees to search for food on the forest floor. Today the musky kangaroos or the smallest kangaroos still have things in common with the ancient possum. For example, they still have big toes.
There are many types of small types of kangaroos in Australia, even though people have only seen the big ones. A lot of the smaller kangaroo species, such as bettongs, are in danger of extinction because sheep, cattle and rabbits eat their food and the tall grasses. In fact, the tall grasses are the shelter of the small kangaroos from their predators like foxes and feral cats.
What about the big types of kangaroos? These kangaroos are in no danger of extinction. They have been helped by farming. They can live in the drier parts of the country, and they love the nice short grass that grazing cattle leave behind.
What is specific about kangaroos? It is their hop. The kangaroo hop is a very unusual way for a large animal to move. If you try to hop up the street in the same way, you will get tired very quickly. There are a couple of reasons why kangaroos do not get tired, even when they hop as fast as 65 km/hour; Firstly, they have powerful hind legs to store a lot of energy. Secondly, when they hop, their innards flop to and fro, pumping air in and out of their lungs and saving their muscles a lot of work.
Besides the hop, kangaroos are different from the other animals because they are marsupials. Like koala and wombats, kangaroos rear their young in a pouch. In good conditions, the females of some kangaroos are almost always pregnant. A day or two after joeys are born, she mates again.
A female kangaroo can produce milk from different teats for the older and the younger joeys. And when there’s a bad drought the kangaroos stop breeding until the rains come and they have enough food supply.
(Simplified from Text in Action by Sadler & Hayllar pg. 6-7
30. What does the text tell us about?
A. The types of kangaroos in Australia. B. The similarities of kangaroos in Australia C. The differences of kangaroos in Australia D. The specification of kangaroos in Australia
31. What are the shelter of small kangaroos from their predators? A. Tall grass
B. Rain forest C. Green trees D. Drier country
32. How many reasons that make kangaroos do not get tired to hop? A. 1
B. 2 C. 3 D. 4
33. “These kangaroos are in no danger of extinction” The word “extinction” is similar meaning to ….
A. bare B. rare C. plain D. disappear
This text is for number 34 to 36
JOSEPH’S PLAY STATION (JPS)
Bhayangkara 03 Street, East Jakarta hp.081392953430
---We offer you satisfaction. ---We have complete collections of updated games.
It is fairly cheap, only Rp 2.000 per hour. We have friendly assistants. They will accompany you when you need.
Fresh water is free for you. So why don’t you come and get fun in my play station?
34. What does the text tell us about ? A. Fresh water
B. It is fairly cheap C. Collections of up D. Joseph’s Play Station
35. Which is true about Joseph’s Play Station? Joseph’s Play Station ….
A. is expensive
B. is not expensive
C. doesn’t have updated games
D. doesn’t have friendly assistants
36. “They will accompany you when you need” (paragraph 2) The word “they” refers to ….
This text is for number 37 to 38
J. K. Rowling is a British author. She writes about the magical adventures of a boy wizard named Harry Potter. The Harry Potter books dominated bestseller lists in the late 1990s and early 2000s. They attracted fans worldwide among children and adults alike.
In 1965 Joanne Kathleen Rowling was born in Chipping Sodbury, a small town in southern England. Rowling knew she wanted to be a writer as early as age six, when she wrote her first story. She graduated from the University of Exeter in England and afterward worked in various jobs while attempting to write fiction for adults.
Rowling moved to Portugal at age 26, where she taught English. While she was there, she married a Portuguese journalist, and they had a daughter in 1993. During this time she began writing a book about an orphaned boy who lives with his mean-spirited aunt and uncle and does not know that he is actually a wizard with magic powers.
By 1995 Rowling was divorced, and she moved to Edinburgh, Scotland. Unable to pay for childcare, Rowling went on public assistance and continued writing her book, often jotting down passages in cafés while her daughter slept at her side.
(Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2006) 37. What does the text tell us about?
A. JK Rowling’s life B. JK Rowling’s work C. JK Rowling’s biography D. JK Rowling’s hometown
38. When did JK Rowling move to Edinburgh, Scotland? A. 1992
B. 1993 C. 1994 D. 1995
39. From the text above, we can conclude that J.K. Rowlings is a .... writer. A. great
B. notorious C. unpopular D. unknown
40. “...an orphaned boy who lives with his meant-spirited aunt and uncle and doesn’t know that he is actually a wizart with magic powers”. The underlined word means....
A. no brothers and sisters B. no daughters and sons C. no father and mother D. no grandma and granpa
This text is for number 41 to 43 1. Make sure the switch is off.
2. Place ingredients into the blender container. Add some water if needed. 3. Put the lid on.
4. Place the container on the motor housing. 5. Plug in the cable.
6. Select one of two speed buttons as required. Use PULSE switch for precision 7. blending. When adding ingredients or seasonings, remove the small lid for 8. adding things in the middle of the blender lid.
9. After grinding, press the switch off. 10. Unplug the cable.
41.What is the suitable title of the text above? A. How to use a blender
B. How to place the container
C. How to put the ingredients into the blender D. How to blend ingrediens or seasionings together
42. How do we use the blender precissely? A. Use pulse switch
B. Unplug the cable C. Select the speed button D. Press the switch off
43. Where do you put the ingredients if you want to grind? A. In the motor housing
B. In the blender container C. In the container housing D. In the ingredients containers
This text is for number 44 to 46
The Cheetah is the fastest animal on land. It can run 100 kilometer an hour. It is now … (44) and is one of the animals which is in danger of extinction.
The Cheetah has a small head and ears, and long … (45) legs. It always hunts and chases its prey on open ground.
This is a different way of hunting from the other “big cats.” They like to stay in and near trees to …(46) their prey. The cheetah is also different from other cats because it cannot draw in its claws.
44. A. rare B. difficult C. faithfull D. extinct
46. A. hit B. pick C. catch D. touch
For number 47 and 48, arrange the words into a good sentence 47. Into – tub – hands – put – rotating – do – not - the
49. Arrange the following sentences into a good order.
How to Set Up Your TV Set
Be sure not to plug your TV set into an electrical outlet until you read these instruction.
1. Finally plug it into an electrical outlet. Turn it on and enjoy the programe 2. Next, put it in a suitable place. Try not to expose it to direct sunlight.
3. Then take the TV set out off the box. Don’t forget to remove the plastic bags around the speakers.
4. First of all, make sure to open the box carefully. Don’t drop it. It’s fragile. 5. After then, rremember to attact the wires from the speakers to the main unit. 6. If you don’t want to enjoy the programe just turn it off.
A. 4-3-1-2-5-6 B. 4-3-2-1-6-5 C. 4-3-5-2-1-6 D. 4-3-6-5-2-1
50. Arrange the following sentences into a good text. Camping
1. They were all hungry and the food smelt good.
2. Their sleeping bags were comfortable, so they all slept soundly. 3. The boys felt tired so they put out the fire and crept into their tent. 4. Late in the afternoon, the boys got up the tent in the middle of the field. 5. After a wonderful meal, they told stories and sang songs by the camp fire. 6. As soon as this was done, they cooked a meal over an open fire.
7. But some time later it began to rain.
The best arrangement is … .
a. 3-2-4-7-1-6-5 c. 4-6-1-5-7-3-2